The Women’s Shelter is staffed 24 hours 7 days a week providing the 5 NPA communities Bamaga, Injinoo. Umagico, Seisia and New Mapoon a safe secure crisis accommodation for women and children experiencing and escaping from domestic and family violence with counselling, emotional and practical support, assistance with securing housing, information referrals, advocacy, access to assistance (e.g. Centre link, Regional Domestic Violence Services and specialist counselling services).
The shelter contains 51 beds, within a secure communal setting. The service is able to accommodate family groups or a combination of families and singles. Families can be accommodated for a short term in the shelter. Male children 14 years and over cannot be accommodated.
We operate on the understanding that:
- Domestic/ family/ sexual and community violence is a crime.
- Women and children have the right to live safely in their own homes and in their communities.
- The responsibility for acts of violence against women and children is with the perpetrator.
- The safety and continuing protection of women and their children who have experienced or are experiencing violence is of paramount importance.
- Prevention means addressing the social roots of violence against women and children not just the symptoms.
NPA Women’s Shelter
Office Open: Monday—Sunday
Office Hours: 24 HOURS 7 DAYS A WEEK
Phone: 07 4069 3020
Fax: 07 4069 3184